Open Licence Terms of Guardian News & Media Ltd
theguardian.com website includes many science reports that may be of interest to members of our network, and that can serve as source material for blogging purposes.
Content of the Guardian and Observer (publications of Guardian News & Media Ltd) can be reused free of charge by the Research Cooperative and its members under the terms and conditions shown below. See the complete syndication statement here.
The summary and Licence below is an edited version of the original open license terms (Internet, 19th April 2017), and highlights terms that apply to our website. Please see the original license statement if your wish to use content from these publishers elsewhere.
- Up to 100 words for a short quotation excluding any advertising or endorsement use; and
- Up to 500 words in a personal blog (e.g. your personal blog within the Research Cooperative) along with a link back to theguardian.com
You can edit or cut our articles along as their integrity is maintained and their meaning is not changed. And, you must include all by-lines and links, and a credit such as “Courtesy of Guardian News & Media Ltd” [GNM].
GNM grants you a non-exclusive, royalty-free, non-transferable, worldwide licence to use, publish and/or transmit GNM content (“Content”) as published in the Guardian and Observer and on theguardian.com website or any affiliate or successor website for the following purposes (“Purposes”):
- In a short quotation of a maximum of 100 words in length excluding advertising and endorsement purposes; or
- [redacted; does not apply here]
- [redacted; does not apply here]
- Use of articles in personal, non-commercial blog- and websites subject to i) a link back to theguardian.com website; and ii) a limit of 500 words.
- You may reproduce a reduced or edited version of the Content, including alterations of the layout of the Content or cropping images to fit the Purposes or contextualising the Content for publication, provided that you preserve the context, meaning and integrity of the Content as originally published by GNM. You shall ensure that any headlines or captions inserted by you to accompany the Content shall accurately reflect the material contained in the Content. For the avoidance of doubt, all other modifications, editing, alterations, or abridgements of the Content other than those expressly permitted under this Agreement are prohibited.
- You agree to retain: (i) the by-line(s) on the Content; (ii) the original watermark, metadata and analytics code embedded in the Content; (iii) any disclaimer footnote, correction or other notice that is contained within the Content; and (iv) all links to external websites contained within the Content.
- Alongside all uses of GNM content for the Purposes, you shall print an acknowledgement to GNM such as “Courtesy of Guardian News & Media Ltd”.
- GNM, or its licensors, shall retain all intellectual property rights in the Content provided under this Agreement. You shall not use, sell, copy, transmit, display or redistribute the Content except as set out in this Agreement.
- You acknowledge and agree that when you use GNM content for the Purposes, you are doing so at your own discretion and risk, including any reliance on the accuracy and completeness of that content. GNM accepts no liability in respect of your use of GNM content for the Purposes.