Help with proofreading

Ilaria Maria Grimaldi
Ilaria Maria Grimaldi
@ilaria-maria-grimaldi
5 years ago
5 posts

Hi,

I need my document to be proofread. It is about GMO's management. Can anybody help please?

Thanks,

Ilaria

updated by @ilaria-maria-grimaldi: 02/06/16 07:57:53PM
Bryan Hugill
Bryan Hugill
@bryan-hugill
5 years ago
3 posts

Hi Ilaria -

Can you perhaps give us a bit more info about your document? Language, style, number of words, budget for the job, etc.? I'd be interested in helping you with this job, but the request is a bit vague.

Thanks!

Bryan

Ilaria Maria Grimaldi
Ilaria Maria Grimaldi
@ilaria-maria-grimaldi
5 years ago
5 posts

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to be vague but this is my first time and I did not know how it worked. So, the document is my master's thesis, which was completed and submitted in 2008. It was never fully proofread, however, I have it on my academia page and it is often consulted, so I would like it to present a corrected version. It is 8462 words long which I can upload if this is the procedure. As for the budget, an English teacher asked me for 15 pounds per hour, is this the usual price? I have no clue.

Cheers,

Ilaria

Jane Mackay, Janemac Editing
@jane-mackay-janemac-editing
5 years ago
10 posts

Hi Ilaria,

If you email me your document I'll give you a quote for proofing it. Many of my clients are professors and academic journals, so I am experienced at copy editing and proofreading academic research papers. My email address is jm.editing@gmail.com

The English teacher's quote of 15 British pounds per hour sounds reasonable. My only caution would be to check that the teacher has knowledge of the particular requirements of academic editing. I recommend asking for a sample edit of 3-5 pages, which I will also be happy to provide you.

I have two questions:

1. What style guide (e.g., APA, MHRA) did you follow when writing your thesis?

2. What is your time frame for having the proofing done?

One other note: it often happens that a document needs more than basic proofreading -- that it would benefit from copy editing. Here's a brief explanation of the difference between the two:

Proofreading is strictly a "mechanical" service -- correcting errors of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and basic elements of layout. It does not include attention to syntactic or stylistic awkwardness (sentences that don't make sense or that are difficult to comprehend), or to inconsistencies inherent in the text.

Copy editing attends to all of the mechanical elements: grammar, punctuation, spelling. It also pays attention to the "4 Cs" -- clarity, coherency, consistency, and correctness -- in order to ensure clear communication of the author's intent. Passages of garbled or ambiguous syntax, inconsistent elements, and other obstacles in the way of the reader are either corrected or brought to your attention. Copy editing also deals with such elements as sentence and paragraph length, flow, style, and voice, and accuracy.

Best,

Jane

5 years ago
10 posts

One other thought: it would be a good idea to ask the English teacher for an estimate of how long the work will take, so you can estimate the total cost.

Ilaria Maria Grimaldi
Ilaria Maria Grimaldi
@ilaria-maria-grimaldi
5 years ago
5 posts

Hi Jane,

Thanks, I just emailed you my document. Let me know if you find somebody who can do some proofreading and editing.

Cheers,

Ilaria

5 years ago
10 posts

I received it, thanks.

I have to clear up a misunderstanding -- evidently I didn't express myself clearly! I am a professional copy editor and a number of my clients are professors and academic journals.

I will review your MS and send you a quote.

Best,

Jane

Tags

Dislike 0